So with today being Mardi Gras…I knew our dinner would not be complete without a king cake. Now, my son is a picky eater and doesn’t like to try new things and with his food allergies, I knew I had to make something that he could eat. One of his (and my) favorite things are Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls. I knew this would be perfect to make our king cake with. I took one can of cinnamon rolls and arranged them on the cookie sheet in a circle, like this.
Yup…it’s a cake!! Our Cub Scout pack had their Blue & Gold dinner last night and they had a cub/parent dessert contest with 5 categories. Of course my son wanted to enter the “Grossest Dessert” category! I really had no idea what I was going to make so I googled “gross desserts” and found a bunch! His favorite was the kitty litter cake. After looking at the recipes, (they all called for a cake and pudding mixture that I am sure is yummy but we’re not big pudding people over here) I decided just to bake a regular cake in a disposable aluminum cake pan (13×9). It only took a few supplies to make. Cake mix, icing, oreos (or any vanilla cookie, green food coloring and tootsie rolls
Now that Valentine’s Day has come and gone….it is time to start decorating for the next occasion….MARDI GRAS!!! I love to decorate my house and have theme dinner parties….I will look for any excuse to do it. Although I don’t go all out for Mardi Gras…I do have a dinner planned and I do a little decorating. Here is my hall table and counter in my kitchen spruced up for the occasion.
Yesterday was our school’s 100 Day Celebration and I was in charge of a snack. I knew I didn’t want to do cupcakes because I sent in cupcakes for the Valentine’s Day party today so I went with cookies instead. I wanted the cookies to look like a 100 so I picked Vienna Fingers and Chips Ahoy.
I just put them in a small ziploc “snack” bag. (these worked best because the cookies didn’t shift around in the bag)
P.S. I linked up at Sun Scholars
I created a school lunch drawer to last year when my son started Kindergarten and it worked great. All of the things I needed to make his lunches where in one spot and I didn’t have to run around the kitchen looking for sandwich cutters in one spot, lunch bags in another. Unfortunately, the drawer became quite a mess!!
So I started pulling everything out and re-organized it again. Hopefully it will stay that way this time….
All of the white bins came from Walmart in either 2 or 3 packs and they were only a dollar or two for each set. Not too bad to help with the mess!! Here is the final product:
With Valentine’s Day right around the corner….I thought I better get going on my plan to make my son’s cards for his class. When I asked him what theme he wanted to go with for his cards this year, his response was Star Wars. Ok ….easy enough. I knew I wanted to attempt making something this year instead of just buying the ones in stores. So I started looking around for the images I liked. He is on a Darth Vader/Storm Trooper kick right now so I looked for those images as well as an R2D2…can’t forget him! Once I found the images I liked, I saved them to my computer and opened them up in paint and added some little sayings to them. I tried to be as creative as I could. Here is the end result……
Sorry…the glare is pretty bad on them….still working on perfecting my photography skills on my new camera! Anyway, I cut them out and glued them on the coordinating card stock. For the candy/goodie to go along with them….we found Star Wars fruit roll-ups at the grocery store and thought they would be perfect.
I was a little disappointed when I opened the boxes. I thought the outside wrapper would be done in the Star Wars theme but they’re not….just the fruit roll up itself is. So ….after some thinking, I decided I would turn these into little lightsabers.
I wrapped each one in red crepe paper starting at the top all the way down to the bottom.
They should look like this when they are done.
Next..I first covered the bottoms in black crepe paper and grey card stock trim but I didn’t like the look of it. So I came to the computer to start to create a “lightsaber bottom” and decided to do a quick google search to see what an actual lightsaber bottom should look like and that’s when I found these…..
She used these for napkin ring holders but with a little trimming ….they were the perfect “lightsaber bottom” that I needed.
Unfortunately, I ran out of ink and could only print one sheet. But at least they are started. Here is what they look like with one of the cards…..
When I get them all finished….I will post them up but you get the idea 🙂 A custom valentine that didn’t cost much at all except a little time.