Who else loved Dumbo growing up? This movie was one of the first Disney movies I even seen and It holds such a special place in my heart. So special in fact that with the new live action movies being released, I could help but share a fun recipe to commemorate the occasion! These Dumbo Cupcakes inspired by Disney’s live action Dumbo movie releasing on March 29th are the perfect way to celebrate. Plus they’re so easy to make for any movie night celebration or party you might be having.
This recipe calls for box cake mix to make it as easy as possibly but feel free to substitute with you own homemade recipe if you prefer.
The cupcakes are topped with mini marshmallows sprayed with a yellow food coloring spray to give it the look of freshly popped popcorn just like you would get at the circus.
Bake them in red and white striped cupcake liners and you have a delicious treat even Dumbo would approve of!
ABOUT THE MOVIE:
From Disney and visionary director Tim Burton, the all-new grand live-action adventure “Dumbo” expands on the beloved classic story where differences are celebrated, family is cherished and dreams take flight. Circus owner Max Medici (Danny DeVito) enlists former star Holt Farrier (Colin Farrell) and his children Milly (Nico Parker) and Joe (Finley Hobbins) to care for a newborn elephant whose oversized ears make him a laughingstock in an already struggling circus. But when they discover that Dumbo can fly, the circus makes an incredible comeback, attracting persuasive entrepreneur V.A. Vandevere (Michael Keaton), who recruits the peculiar pachyderm for his newest, larger-than-life entertainment venture, Dreamland. Dumbo soars to new heights alongside a charming and spectacular aerial artist, Colette Marchant (Eva Green), until Holt learns that beneath its shiny veneer, Dreamland is full of dark secrets.
Check out the trailer for Dumbo releasing in theaters March 29.
Are you excited for Dumbo? Grab the recipe for these Dumbo cupcakes below and don’t forget to pin it for later!
- 1 box white cake mix
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2-4 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 bag mini marshmallows
- 1 can Wilton Yellow Color Mist
- Preheat oven to 350 degree and line cupcake pan with cupcake liners
- Using a standing mixer, mix all cupcake ingredients together until combinedFollow the cupcake directions as listed on the back of the cake box.
- Fill liners 3/4 of the way and bake in the oven for 21 minutes
- Remove cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Empty the bag of mini marshmallows into a large bowlBegin making marshmallow “popcorn”.
- Using your scissors, snip the top half of each marshmallow 3 to 4 spots. ( Doing this will make them look like freshly popped popcorn kernels.)
- Set the prepped marshmallows aside. Begin making frosting:
- Using a standing mixer, combine butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and heavy whipping cream until creamy and stiff peaks form
- Scoop into a piping bag with a medium star tip. Pipe frosting onto the cupcakes
- Begin sticking the "popcorn" onto the frosting to make it look like a mound of "popcorn"
- Once done sticking on the popcorn, spray spots yellow to make it look like butter.
FOR MORE FUN DISNEY RECIPES, CHECK OUT: