Making homemade butter from scratch is one of the easiest recipes you can make. You only need 2 ingredients and a few minutes of time to make delicious butter right in your kitchen.
You probably haven’t thought much about making homemade butter from scratch because it’s pretty easy to just buy it from the store but it’s surprisingly easy to make. One bite and you may never buy store bought again! Read on to learn how to make homemade butter in just a few easy steps.
In an effort to take more control of the food I eat and feed my family, more and more of foods we eat I’m trying to make from scratch.
Making butter from scratch is not only one of the easiest recipes you’ll ever make it’s absolutely delicious too.
And if you have kids, is a fun activity for them to try making in a mason jar. Just fill the jar with heavy whipping cream and have them shake it until they can’t anymore.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO MAKE HOMEMADE BUTTER?
You only need a few things to make this easy homemade butter recipe.
- a glass or plastic jar (only if you’re shaking it by hand)
- a stand mixer or hand-held mixer
- heavy cream or heavy whipping cream
- salt if you want salted butter
- a jar to store the butter
HOW EASY IS IT TO MAKE HOMEMADE BUTTER?
It’s so easy to make homemade butter. You just need heavy cream/heavy whipping cream and a little salt if you want to make salted butter.
I use Redmond’s Real Salt to make my salted butter and organic heavy whipping cream but any salt and cream will work.
CAN YOU MAKE BUTTER FROM MILK?
Unfortunately no. You need to used heavy cream or heavy whipping cream to make butter. Milk doesn’t have enough fat to turn it into butter. You need at least 35% fat
DO YOU HAVE TO USE A GLASS JAR TO MAKE BUTTER?
No. You can use any container, glass or plastic, to make your butter from scratch as long as it has a tight fitting lid.
I prefer to skip that route and use my stand mixer to make it. You can even use your hand-held electric beater to make butter.
HOW LONG DOES HOMEMADE BUTTER LAST?
Your homemade butter will last about 1-2 weeks in the fridge. Mine never lasts longer than a week because everyone loves it.
OTHER CONDIMENT RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Chimichurri Sauce
- Spicy Garlic Parmesan Wing Sauce
- Lemon Dill Sauce
HOW TO MAKE THE EASIEST HOMEMADE BUTTER FROM SCRATCH
Now that you have all your ingredients and supplies ready, let’s get to the good part and make this easy homemade butter.
Making butter from scratch is simple with this easy homemade butter recipe
- 2 cups heavy cream or heavy whipping cream
- salt if making salted butter
- In a bowl or stand mixer, beat heavy cream on medium-high speed for about ten minutes
- Once cream separates, drain buttermilk and save for other recipes or discard.
- Rince butter under cold water until water runs clear.
- If adding salt, add a small amount to taste and work into butter with spoon or spatula.
- Use immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.
OTHER RECIPES MADE FROM SCRATCH:
USE THIS HOMEMADE BUTTER RECIPE ON OR IN THESE RECIPES:
- LEMON CRANBERRY MUFFINS
- CHOCOLATE BANANA PANCAKES
- LEMON BLUEBERRY MINI BUNDT CAKES
- 4-INGREDIENT BANANA PANCAKES
- BACON SWEET POTATO MINI PIZZAS
OTHER RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE